Here are some nutrition tips for weight gain. These tips will help you promote weight gain by increasing calorie intake and frequency of eating:
- Eat three meals and two to three snacks each day. Try to eat every three hours.
- Eat high-calorie snacks between meals.
- Eat larger portions at meals.
- Drink fruit juice, milk, or soy milk instead of diet soda, water, coffee, or tea with meals and/or between meals.
Ways to Add Calories
- Add olive oil, canola oil, or trans-fat-free margarine to soups, vegetables, sauces, hot cereals, rice, to Food mashed potatoes, bread, and pasta.
- Use natural nut butters on bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, crackers, apples, bananas, celery, and carrots.
- Add avocado, olives, cheese, dried fruit, and nuts to salads and sandwiches.
- Use mayonnaise in salad dressings, chicken, tuna, and egg salads, or on sandwiches.
- Use evaporated milk in place of milk or add powdered milk when making soups, sauces, hot cereals, and puddings.
- Pour gravy or sauce on rice, noodles, potatoes, and meats.
- Fry foods in olive or canola oil.
- Use honey or sugar in beverages or on fruit.
- Add raisins, dates, chopped nuts, and brown sugar to foods such as hot cereals and puddings.
- Trail mix
- English muffin pizza Snack Ideas
- Cheese quesadilla
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Frozen yogurt or ice cream with granola and nuts
- Crackers with natural peanut butter or cheese
- Milk shake or smoothie
- Apple or banana with natural peanut butter
- Pudding topped with whipped cream and nuts
- Bagel with cream cheese or natural peanut butter
- Regular cottage cheese and fruit
- Supplements: Liquid nutritional supplements and bars can also add calories